The Content Marketing Institute, in 2017, reported that content marketing can get three times as many leads as paid search advertising. That’s a rather bold statement, but here’s why it’s true:
1. What IS Content Marketing
In order to understand why this is true, we need to understand what content marketing is. According to CMI, “Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.”
The idea is to give your potential customers or clients information they value, which keeps them coming back to your site to consume. This leads them to trust you and want to reciprocate your generosity by purchasing from your company when they are ready to buy-in to what you provide.
It makes logical sense that a person would become loyal to a company they trust who has gone out of their way to give them value, but to better understand why content marketing is far superior to ads, we need to identify one very powerful statistic.
2. Ad Blocking
You and I both know how annoying ads can be. We record our favorite shows so we can fast forward through the commercials. We ignore all the ads on social media, and we know friends who block ads on their browsers. According to 2018 Marketing Statistics, here are some alarming ad blocking stats if you’re considering paid advertising as your main source:
- 87% of people say there are more ads than two years ago.
- Adblocker Plus, the most popular ad blocking app, has reached 300 million downloads worldwide.
- 64% of ad blocker users do so because they believe ads are annoying or intrusive.
- Ad blocking in the US has increased from 15%-30% since 2014.
- 91% of people say ads are more intrusive today than two years ago.
- 73% of people dislike pop-up ads.
- 4 out of 5 of people have left a webpage because of a pop-up or autoplaying video ad.
- 72% of consumers say they would have a lower opinion of a brand if they subjected the consumer to a pop-up ad.
- 81% of consumers have closed a browser or exited a webpage because of a pop-up ad.
- 70% of people dislike mobile ads. Mobile ad blocking has increased 90% year-over-year.
3. Here’s what you need to do
Knowing that there is a growing distaste for ads, why waste good money to place them where your potential customers will ignore them at best? Why not give them value, make them trust your company, and bring you top of mind when they in the market for what you sell? Spending money on content marketing pays off!
However, to make it so, you’ll need to not only give them value, but be predictable and do so consistently or they won’t come back. If you don’t want to do that yourself, contact me!